Dancing Euclidean proof.

After watching the video and reading the article, I was thinking of how I can use movement to  change the stereotype of abstract Math and facilitate math teaching and Learning specifically for high school students
Do I need to be a professional dancer in order to combine math and dance?
How I can stimulate my students to find a meaningful relationship between dance and math?

First I need to help them to realize that dance requires the use of some mathematical terms and topics, for example dancers need math to count the beats, rhythm in dancing is associated with patterns, dance movements are combination of circles , triangles, lines, symmetry and etc.
Then, we can work on creating some movements to help us understand and visualize some mathematical concepts like functions. For instance, we can use these movement for some common functions and even creat dance by combining them.



Although, encouraging students to participate in the activities will be the most challenging part and I might need to work on building a positive relationship with all my students in advance.

These kinds of activities can make math more concrete and applicable. students also will develop their social and emotional skills and view mathematics from a different perspective.

Comments

  1. I always have a bit of a problem with this 'function calisthenics' illustration -- because our arms can't really bend in the ways they show for functions like sin x! But I appreciate the idea of using different aspects of dance, movement and rhythm to help students make sense of a variety of mathematical ideas. Thanks Roya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Integrating history of mathematics in a classroom